My Top 10 Problems With Christianity
I live on the buckle of the American “Bible Belt” and every once in a while I have evangelical Christians come knocking on my door at dinner time to tell me the “good news” (that I will be burning in Hell for all eternity). So I’ve decided that I should probably work out the major problems I have with Christianity so that my discussions with them will include less rambling and be more to the point (I don’t just slam the door in their faces because I enjoy making them squirm). Below I have listed my major issues with Christianity. However, it is primarily tailored towards the evangelical branches of Christian faith because those are Christians I deal with on a normal basis.
In no particular order:
- Biblical literalism is inconsistent with scientific knowledge.
- Biblical interpretation proves the book to be a human invention or the god to be incompetent.
- Biblical law is immoral as it condones slavery, genocide, xenophobia, incest, rape, and misogyny.
- Biblical scholars’ god is very different than the layman’s god.
- We are fully capable of rational and critical thought yet we are only rewarded for blind faith and obedience.
- Historical evidence for Jesus outside the bible is largely thought to be forgeries or too ambiguous.
- Evangelical Christians give huge amounts of money to the church and are the poorest and least educated of all the major denominations. So much for the Prosperity Gospel.
- If we are all loved equally by this god why was Thomas and Paul given much more evidence than me?
- Many of the sins in the bible are arbitrary and lack any founding in reason.
- The idea of Hell and an infinite punishment for a finite crime make very little sense when sinners could just be annihilated.
These aren’t my only issues with Christianity, but they are my most pressing problems at the moment. Do you have major issues that I haven’t mentioned? Put them in the comments!